The United Methodist Church is steeped in the heritage of Christian Protestant reformers John and Charles Wesley, the co-founders of the Methodist movement in England in the mid-1700s. The Wesley brothers felt that the church in England was coddled the aristocracy in England and the word of God was meant for everyone. It landed them in a lot of trouble throughout their lives because of the challenge to power that they represented. Methodists have always been revered by the unconditional love that we give to the poor, downtrodden, and other groups left behind by the world.
Methodists have a rich heritage of religious education, prison ministry, outreach to the poor, prayer groups, and dynamic worship. We continue that legacy today through the denomination’s global ministries; the United Methodist Committee on Relief, which is a first responder throughout the world to natural and man-made disasters; and many places of higher education, of which Kansas Wesleyan, Southwestern College, and Baker University are all related to the United Methodist Church. In Kansas, the United Methodist Church has a hand in alleviating and eliminating poverty and homelessness through the United Methodist Open Door, GraceMed Health Clinic, and the Kansas Health Foundation. Additionally, Youthville is one of the few remaining homeless ministries for teens and victims of childhood abuse (all types). Locally, our church is involved in ministries that help the McPherson County Food Bank; The Associated Churches of Lindsborg and surrounding area (TACOL), which provide emergency assistance to those who are struggling financially; in addition to multiple local, regional, and international mission projects. Since 2011, we have sent mission teams to Puerto Penasco, Mexico; Kansas City, MO; and in May 2012, Loveland, CO. Additionally, each year we take Labor Day weekend and spread the love of Jesus in Lindsborg through various community mission projects.
Trinity United Methodist Church was founded in 1871 as a member of the Swedish Methodist Church. In 1918, it combined with the English-speaking Methodist Episcopal Church and became Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. The merger of the two faith traditions caused them to build a new structure on the site of the English-speaking church, which still houses our beautiful sanctuary. In 1968, when the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Churches combined, it earned the name that it now adorns: Trinity United Methodist Church. In 1996, our Fellowship Hall was added. In 2011, the church underwent major renovations in technology to become the most high-tech worship service in Lindsborg.
We are proud of our heritage, of how God is using this community of faith in the present, and prayerfully listen to where God is leading us to go into the future.
The Cross and Flame is a registered trademark and the use
is supervised by the General Council on Finance and Administration
of The United Methodist Church. Permission to use the
Cross and Flame must be obtained from the General Council
on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church:
Post Office Box 340029
Nashville, TN 37203-0029